If you know how to install dsixda-kitchen, android sdk and know linux and/or cygwin in widows, then you could skip this post.
For those who wants to learn cooking ROMs, and find it hard to install the dependencies, then here's a treat: a portable kitchen.
To get through this journey I hope you get to learn (and love) linux along the way.
- Get vmplayer
vmplayer is a free program to run vmware images. vmware is a popular brand that does virtualization.
To put it simply, virtualization is the process of creating or virtualize. In our case, we virtualize an ubuntu instance (known as a guest) to run it on any windows (also called the host) OS. We use vmplayer.
There are other virtualization programs - e.g virtualbox, kvm, etc.
Also, download the Ubuntu image
The ubuntu image consists of two files in a zip and split to 8 parts rar file.
Extract the image:
- unrar dapur-kedai-dsixda.part1.rar
- unzip the resulting zip file
After we have everything ready, install and start vmplayer. In vmplayer, choose "open image" and select ubuntu.vmx. When asked whether to move or copy, accept copy. When asked whether to download vmtools, click remind later.
Before starting the ubuntu image, click edit and go to "options" tab > Shared folder.
We need to access parts of our host (windows) from our guest (ubuntu); e.g moving stock/custom rom from host to guest and vice versa
Click add and follow the wizard.
In our example, we can access anything in c:\users\akak\desktop in /mnt/hgfs/Desktop (in ubuntu)
Once done, click ok and start the ubuntu instance; click and you're in ubuntu.
login as kedai with password dapur.
Brief commands in linux:
- cd will change to your home directory, in our case /home/kedai
- cd /mnt/hgfs/ will change to /mnt/hgfs
- ls will list files/folders
- ls /mnt/hgfs/ will list files/folders in /mnt/hgfs
google linux command line for more.
Before we start cooking, let's transfer our stock/custom zip. For example if we have the stock zip in c:\users\akak\Desktop, we must do this:
sudo cp /mnt/hgfs/Desktop/our_stock_rom.tar.md5 ~/dapur/original_updates/our_stock_rom.tar
This will copy our stock rom to part of our kitchen. Take not that dsixda kitchen takes system.img + boot.img, pda_files.tar, or nandroid backups. Choose any one combination.
Also note that, when we unzip stock rom, we'll get filename.tar.md5. We can just rename it to filename.tar and copy to ~/dapur/original_updates
To start cooking, run ./masak and enter dapur as the password whenever prompted.
These are the normal steps to cook a rom:
- select 1 and choose our stock rom
- select 2 to add root + superuser.apk
- select 3 to add busybox. google busy box for more information. Briefly - swiss army knife of command lines
- select 8 to change rom name
- select 0 to go advance
- select 15 to have bash
- select 11 > b > n to start deodexing everything in /system/app and /system/framework
- now press alt-f2 to go to another terminal. login and cd dapur/WORKING_* and do stuff. example, copy brut.all maps to replace default map:
sudo cp /mnt/hgfs/maps.from.brutall.apk system/app/Maps.apk
- when done, press alt-f1 to go back and select 99 to start building. Accept all default.
- once done, the cwm zip will be in ~/dapur/OUTPUT_ZIP which you can copy to /mnt/hgfs/Desktop so that you can access it in windows and move to your handphone ready to flash.
That's it. Have fun cooking
Trackback is http://myzope.kedai.com.my/blogs/kedai/282/tbping